Do you love food, and think nourishment should be a core mission of a food business?
Are you excited by the potential for ethical businesses to create positive social change?
Are the sounds of a busy kitchen, full restaurant, and bustling bar music to your ears?
Do you know how inspired leadership, in service of an empowered team, can lift everyone’s game and make the game fun to play?
Are you looking for a new challenge? La Boca Loca is looking for you.
With our trade and retail business growing, we are looking for someone to step in to manage our flagship restaurant in Miramar. We already have a great team, a supportive local community, a loyal customer base, great suppliers, and amazing food. What we need is an inspiring, and inspired, leader.
Why work with us? Because you want to be part of a bold experiment in restoring nourishment to the heart of a food business.
(Photo credit: Cameron Burnell/Fairfax NZ http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/10303217/Living-wage-very-much-on-the-menu)
There was a time - not so long ago - when food was expected to be nourishing. But today we have a global food system which is fundamentally un-nourishing on so many levels. Whether through food waste, the use of toxic chemicals in food production, battery-raised animals, unsustainable fishing techniques, dangerous conditions for the people who harvest and process our food, or low wages for the people who cook and serve it to us, the ‘normal’ way to make food has become anything but nourishing.
Happily, there are lots of people who think it can be otherwise. There’s a global movement of people who want to heal the way we make, process, sell and consume food. La Boca Loca is part of that movement.
When we opened La Boca Loca, our vision was to build a restaurant that produced delicious food, in a fun environment, in a way that would be fundamentally nourishing to our customers, our team, our suppliers, the people who grow and harvest the food, the planet, and to our local community. This kind of mission cannot be realised without a strong, motivated, empowered and inspired team, which calls for inspired, empowering leadership. Is that you?
This might be the right role for you if:
- You believe we’re stronger together, and can both lead and model collaborative, cooperative behaviour.
- You’ve either managed restaurants, or you’ve worked in restaurants, have led teams in other kinds of enterprises and can see how you would transfer your leadership skills to a restaurant setting.
- Your measures of success include delighted customers and confident and motivated team members and you love seeing people on your team discover and step into the next level of their potential.
- You have the skills to communicate with clarity and compassion - especially where there is conflict and/or confusion - and the ability to influence and inspire others to perform at their best.
- You do what you say you’ll do, when you say you’ll do it and you get satisfaction from a job well done, down to the very last details.
- You have great systems for breaking complex projects into clear paths and tasks, keeping track of multiple tasks, and prioritising amongst them (and can help your team do the same)
- You know when to take the initiative, get a kick out of solving problems, and are able to make sound decisions, even on the fly.
- You understand that running a sustainable business means running a business that makes money, and are comfortable getting your head around spreadsheets and costings, and willing to make tough calls when you need to to ensure La Boca Loca keeps nourishing the people and communities that depend on it.
For a detailed job description click here
Reports to Directors, La Boca Loca Ltd (aka Lucas and Marianne)
Full time, salaried
Salary $55,000-$65,000 depending on experience
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter, explaining why you think this might be the right role for you, to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 19th